Tuesday 17 September 2013

2/4 Tuesday: Fun Instrument Labels and Great Choral Rep


Welcome to 2/4 Tuesday! Link up below to join the party!
Below are 2 ideas from my classroom!


1. Cool Instrument Labels!
Classroom tour photos are still to come, I promise! In the meantime I thought I would share photos of my newly organized instrument shelving.

First off, my white shelving gets pretty scratched up so I decided to put shelf lining on my shelves. $1.00 a roll from Dollarama! 

I got a wonderful gift from a teacher friend who knows my retro 90's style! What cute mixed tape labels  from Target! They go perfectly with my room. I use them to mark where on the shelves the instruments should go. Aren't they cute?!


2. Choral Picks for Fall 2013

I have chosen some rep for my 2013/2014 grade 4-6 Choir year! I am excited! Here is what our choir is singing for Fall 2013.

Murasame by Victor C. Johnson
This is a beautiful and neat arrangement of a Japenese folk song. I can't wait for my kids to sing it. Click HERE for a sound clip! See below to hear King College Choral Arts Camp perform the piece. Lovely!


Amani Utupe by Patsy Ford Simms. 
This is a gem and you have most likely heard it or worked on it with your students. Easy to learn Swahili text and upbeat, catchy music. Have a listen HERE!

One Voice by Ruth Moody
This is a beautiful piece originally sung by the Wailin' Jennys of Manitoba! We have some amazing folk artists here in Manitoba and Ruth Moody is definitely one of them. She has arranged the piece for various choirs, and an Orff arrangement is also available! Check out a live recording of The Wailin' Jennys below and check out Ruth Moody's website HERE for the sheet music and Orff arrangement.

Thank-you for checking out this week's 2/4 Tuesday!





6 comments:

  1. "Murasame" is so beautiful! My school is having a school-wide theme revolving around the seven continents, so I think my choir will do that song for the spring concert. Thanks for the great info! I will post my blog on the linky party soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you loved "Murasame" as I did Aileen! It is so beautiful! We are going to perform it at our Provincial Choral Fest this year. Let me know how it goes and how the kids find it!

      Delete
  2. I love your tape labels. I was a prolific maker/giver of mix tapes back in the day. (There I go dating myself...)
    Lovely choral pieces, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone for linking up! And thanks for loving my Tape Labels as mush as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Murasame too! My fourth graders performed it two years ago and this year it was selected for our SCKMEA elementary honor choir, so a few of my fifth graders will get to learn it!

    ReplyDelete